Sunday, July 25, 2010

A special day

Today?
My son, my baby turned ten.
His day was filled with fun and laughter.  He received his ultimate gift.  He's worked hard for it, earning the money to buy half of it.  His birthday breakfast (though not in bed as is tradition) was gooey sweet and yummy.  He played all day, enjoyed his cousins and had his father's chicken parm for supper.  He's absolutely exhausted and as I watch him, he's almost asleep at the counter brushing his teeth. But he's one happy ten year old.

I see him turning in to such a great young man; growing up with a disarming smile and warm infectious laugh.  I love his sense of humor and quick wit; unfortunately having been snookered by it more than once. He teaches me things...his conversations are more about history, math and science experiments he's conducted in the basement  rather than the blue truck or Sesame Street.  He shows me tricks on my new phone and how to beat the games on the computer which makes me feel a wee bit outdated; a tad less uselful?  He has taste in music (which I usually like), opinions (that I enjoy hearing), and, selfishly,  that makes me sad.
 But then, I still have to pick up his socks that he tucks in the couch so he doesn't have to put them away.  I still have to remind him to brush his teeth or to even shower.  There are days I make a clean spot on his face to make sure he's mine! I catch him in fibs:
"Did you eat all the cookies after I said no?"
...no.
 "Did you leave the milk out?"
NO! Maddie did. ~he says with conviction and a chocolate smudge on his chin.

  He can't remember to turn his clothes right side out and he struggles to understand why his sister, who has been his best friend and confidant since day one, won't play with him anymore. He sometimes asks more questions than I have answers. There are days when I get tired and frustrated.

Today, my heart felt pinched and a little heavy in spite of all the laughter and fun. Time flies whether we want it to or not.  On his way up to bed, he kissed me goodnight, told me he loved me and had a great day, (Mom...he's too big for Mommy...*sigh*) hugging me so tightly I winced.

And later tonight, like every night,  I'll go to his bed, draw that heart around his face and tell him I love him, realizing it's a little bit more than the day before.

Happy Birthday Boo.